As a note the gear sheet has been updated. I just forgot to post an tell everyone. I am also working on a Holy Priest version of this.
Specs and Glyphs
- Use Prime Glyph of Truth, Prime Glyph of Templar’s Verdict and Prime Glyph of Exorcism
- Use Major Glyph of Ascetic Crusader. The others are situational but for general use at the moment I would take Major Glyph of Hammer of Wrath and Major Glyph of Rebuke.
- Minor Glyphs make very little difference. Choose what you like.
- A retribution rotation is now somewhere between the old first come first served system and a more set rotation. At average gear levels your priority is Inquisition (if not currently up) > Crusader Strike > Templar’s Verdict > Hammer of Wrath > Exorcism > Judgement > Holy Wrath > Consecration.
- For 4 or more targets replace Crusader Strike with Divine Storm.
- During Zealotry you should cast CS > TV > Filler or CS > Filler > TV. You might even be casting CS > TV > TV if Divine Purpose procs.
- At very high gear levels the HoW and Exo are better than TV.
- If the target is Undead/a Demon then Exo is better than HoW.
- In practice what this works out at is typically CS > Filler > Filler. Its a DPS loss to wait for CS to be available and use only one filler. You cannot stack enough Haste to achieve this at 85. The only reason to no use CS is if you already have 3 Holy Power.
- Never use Inquisition or Templar’s Verdict with less than 3 Holy Power.
- Only use Exorcism with a 2 point Art of War proc unless you are stuck at range.
- You can only use Hammer of Wrath after the mob is below 20%.
- Always stand behind the mob if possible. This means it cannot parry you. But only if standing behind the mob won’t cause you or your tank to die horribly.
- Rebuke should be kept somewhere you can hit it fast. Learn to interrupt – Cataclysm is full of bosses to interrupt.
- Repentance is an excellent form of CC. It works against many different mobs and it rarely falls off. It does break VERY easy and so you should plan its use and keep a Repentanced mob well away from the current target/s. Don’t be afraid to remind people that any damage breaks it and that you cannot reapply it if it breaks because of the cooldown.
- You can dispel disease and poison and you should. I use Vuhdo to allow me to do this quickly without changing target.
- Whilst your healing is not as powerful as it once was, you should still use it to keep especially yourself and others alive.
- Lay on Hands is good. So are bubbles, Hand of Salvation, Hand of Sacrifice, etc. Learn how to use all your utility in a fight.
- Your raiding hit cap is 8% hit (960 or 830 for Drenai). You should ensure you are always capped. You need less hit for heroics.
- Your expertise cap is 26 or 480 rating with the Prime Glyph of Truth (lower for Humans and Dwarves with certain weapons). You should strive for this.
- After those stack strength, followed by mastery and crit. Haste is meh. All other stats are BAD.
- To see how your item rates against possible drops check out the Retribution Paladin Gear List.
- Reforge Haste into hit and expertise in the first instance. Then look at enchants. Gem under the circumstances described below.
Gems and Enhancements
- Use the Reverberating Shadowspirit Diamond meta gem.
- Use Bold Inferno Ruby +40 strength gems in all slots unless:
- Use one Etched Demonseye if you are under the hit cap and the socket bonus is the following or greater: 10 Strength, 10 Mastery, 20 Crit, 20 Haste. Use two for: any strength, 20 Mastery, 30 crit or 30 haste. If you are hit capped there is never a reason to use a blue gem.
- Use one Skillful Ember Topaz if the socket bonus is the following or greater: 20 strength, 30 mastery, 30 crit. Use two for 40 strength only.
- Use one Etched Demonseye and one Skillful Ember Topaz for 20 strength or more.
- Unless you have a profession that provides a better enchant, or are enchanting for caps, enchants and enhancements are:
- Head: Arcanum of the Wildhammer/Dragonmaw (Wildhammer/Dragonmaw Clan – Revered)
- Shoulder: Greater Inscription of the Jagged Stone (Therazane – Exalted)
- Chest: Enchant Chest – Peerless Stats (+20 stats)
- Wrist: Enchant Bracer – Major Strength (+50 Strength)
- Hands: Enchant Gloves – Mighty Strength (+50 Strength)
- Waist: Ebonsteel Belt Buckle (Made by BS, BoE)
- Legs: Dragonscale Leg Armor (Made by LW, BoE)
- Feet: Enchant Boots – Mastery (+50 Mastery) or Enchant Boots – Precision (+50 hit) depending on your hit cap
- Weapon: Enchant Weapon – Landslide (worth around 490 dps) or Hurricane (230 dps) or Avalanche (200 dps). Use the one that is worth the mats considering what weapon you have.