So 4.0.1 has been out a week. In that time retribution has gone down and up again. Last night I had a chance to do my first full raid since the patch and generally speaking I’m feeling a bit happier now. The rotation is starting to feel a bit more natural and I think its got potential. When I do get it right, I seem to have more dps than before the patch. I’m not really comparing myself with others yet as we’re all still learning.
After deciding that Shadow Priest wasn’t for me, since the Tier 11 set looks like a space suit, I’ve now discovered the fun that is the Unholy Death Knight. Any rotation that makes me giggle is good and transforming your pet into an abomination is hilarious!!! I’m still not stuck on my ret pala yet, though I’m further away from a class change than I have been so far since 4.0.1 hit (helped by the fact that the DK tier 11 also looks silly whilst the Pala one is the best I’ve seen so far – I do hope I can have the pretty silver version). I go through this every patch – do I want to stick with the same class for another two years. Last time I caved and changed to my paladin. I have no idea what I’ll do this time.
The rotation has been adapted by the buffs we recieved and I’m working as follows, which is based on the EJ advice:
- Crusader Strike (CS) > Filler > CS > Filler + Use Templar’s Verdict (TV) whenever its a) free or b) you have 3 Holy Power (HP) overriding the normal rotation.
Filler Priority: Hammer of Wrath > Exorcism with Art of War only > Judgement > Holy Wrath > Consecration
- As above with Divine Storm replacing TV
- CS > TV > repeat (you might use TV twice if you get a free TV as well as a 3 HP TV)
With Avenging Wrath
- You’ll be able to use HoW a LOT. Make the most of it, but remember TV still trumps it and you still want to use CS to generate HP. I haven’t fine tuned this one yet. It feels to me like we end up more in a priority situation here than anywhere else. You won’t quite be able to hit CS > HoW > CS > HoW.
Other points to remember:
- Use Zealotry and Avenging Wrath seperately – both boost your dps by changing your rotation and using them together wastes the benefit of one of those. Which one you use with Heroism and in what order is fight dependent.
- Consecration ate your mana. True story. As long as I didn’t hit Consecration the blue bar was ignored.
- Before you hit Holy Wrath look around for that trash your about to pull. It doesn’t actually have a huge range, but the range is a lot less visible than Consecration and Divine Storm so you need to get the hang of it.
Builds and the Selfless part of Selfless Healer
I’ve seen a lot of builds recommending taking Eye for an Eye instead of Selfless Healer. For PvP and maybe even levelling, that sounds like a good idea. For raiding, especially 10 man raiding, I prefer Selfless Healer.
Eye for an Eye increases your trash dps but not your boss dps. It doesn’t work on bosses. It never has and it hasn’t been changed according to anything I’ve seen or read. In all honesty I don’t need increased trash dps. We have more than enough dps for any trash we’ve faced so far.
Using Word of Glory is a dps loss. HP spent on TV will be better for your personal dps. If thats all you care about stop right here and go spec Eye for an Eye. And please never apply to my guild. For me one of the great strengths of a paladin is that I can help out beyond my dps remit. I can throw off a quick heal to save someone from dying. I can pop a shield. I’ve heard a lot of criticism of WoG – it doesn’t heal for enough, its not worth using. But with the instant Flash Heal from AoW gone, its a useful option. LoH and bubbles normally come first, but once they are on CD, WoG could save a death and even a wipe. Healing was always a dps loss. WoG is a dps loss. But the dps you save will do more damage than you will lose. Its whats best for the raid overall that counts not your own personal dps.
Yes that was a bit of a rant. Yes there should be choice in the new talent trees. But I am tired of reading that Selfless Healer is ‘bad’. Selfless Healer rewards me for doing something I would do anyway! Its a good talent to take from the choices available for raiding. Its far more valuable than increased dps on trash!