Cross posted on Big Hit Box on 17 January 2010
Updated for patch 3.3:
Specs and Glyphs
- Use Major Glyph of Judgement and Major Glyph of Consecration.
- Use Minor Glyph of Sense Undead, Minor Glyph of Lay on Hands, Minor Glyph of Blessing of Might.
- For your last Major slot use Glyph of Seal of Vengeance if you are NOT expertise capped from gear. If you ARE expertise capped from gear use Seal of Exorcism.
- Your ‘rotation is FCFS or First Come First Served. Hit the best of the abilities that is available to you at any given time.
- Priority order without 2P t9 set bonus from best to worst: HoW, CS, Judgment, DS, Cons., Exorcism, Holy Wrath.
- Priority order with 2P t9 set bonus from best to worst: Judgment, HoW, CS, DS, Cons., Exorcism, Holy Wrath.
- Priority order with 2P t9 and 2P t10 set bonus from best to worst: Judgement, DS, HoW, CS, Cons., Exorcism, Holy Wrath.
- Priority order with 4P t10 set bonus from best to worst: DS, CS, Judgement, HoW, Cons., Exorcism, Holy Wrath.
- Only use Exorcism with a 2 point Art of War proc.
- You can only use Holy Wrath on Undead.
- You can only use Hammer of Wrath after the mob is below 20%.
- Always stand behind the mob if possible. This means it cannot parry you. But only if standing behind the mob won’t cause you or your tank to die horribly.
- You can dispel magic, disease and poison and you should. I use Vuhdo to allow me to do this quickly without changing target.
- Spare CDs and Art of War procs can be used for Flash Heal. So can non-spare ones. You can’t dps if you die.
- Use your Sacred Shield to reduce the damage you take.
- Lay on hands is good. So are bubbles, Hand of Salvation, Hand of Sacrifice, Repentance, etc. Learn how to use all your utility in a fight.
- Your hit cap is 8% hit (263 or 230 for Drenai). You should ensure you are always capped.
- Your expertise cap is 26 or 214 rating (lower for Humans and Dwarves with certain weapons). You should strive for this.
- After those stack strength, followed by crit. Haste and Armor Pen are meh – don’t stack them but don’t avoid them. The same is true of Agility and Attack Power. Spellpower and Intellect are bad.
- To see how your item rates against possible drops check out the Retribution Paladin Gear List for 3.3.
Gems and Enhancements
- Use the Relentless Earthsiege Diamond meta gem.
- Use one Nightmare Tear +10 stats gem to activate it (this gem is prismatic and so counts as 1 red, yellow and blue).
- Use any hit/expertise gems to help you reach the cap.
- Use Bold Cardinal Ruby +20 strength gems in all slots, unless you have a yellow gem slot that will give you a +6 strength socket bonus or more. Then use an Inscribed Ametrine +10 strength/+10 crit.
- Unless you have a profession that provides a better enchant, or are enchanting for caps, enchants and enhancements are:
- Head: Arcanum of Torment (Knights of the Ebon Blade – Revered)
- Shoulder: Greater Inscription of the Axe (Sons of Hodir – Exalted)
- Chest: Enchant Chest – Powerful Stats (+10 stats)
- Wrist: Enchant Bracer – Greater Assault (+50 AP)
- Hands: Enchant Gloves – Crusher (+44 AP)
- Waist: Eternal Belt Buckle (Made by BS, BoE)
- Legs: Icescale Leg Armor (Made by LW, BoE)
- Feet: Enchant Boots – Greater Assualt (+32 AP)
- Weapon: Enchant Weapon – Beserking