So the other night we had an application from a ret pala. His gear was ok, spec was fine. But then I notice his gems. He has the Agility meta, one +10 stats gem and 3 strength and crit gems. I talk to him, and its clear he just doesn’t get it. He took the Agility meta because blue gems were ‘uesless’ and then didn’t gem for max strength.
So heres the real scores for the metas as of 3.2. With the JC prismatics gone, this is how it stacks up.
- Chaotic Skyflare Diamond +21 crit and 3% increased critical damage Requires 2 blue gems
- Relentless Earthsiege Diamond +21 Agility and 3% Increased Critical Damage Requires 1 gem of each colour
As you can see the 3% crit is the same for both and this is what you want.
Now for the math part, concentrate
If you go for Chaotic Skyflare: You put in 2 strength and stamina gems leaving you with -20 strength (39.4). You can use one +10 stats gem. You gain 21 crit and 10 agility (27.4) from the prismatic leaving you with a total of -12.
If you go for Relentless Earthseige: You put in one +10 stats gem leaving you with -10 strength (19.7). You gain 10 agility from the +10 stats and 21 agility from the meta (totalling 26.35) leaving you with a total of +6.65.
Hence, Relentless is better at this time.
Gemming rules in summary
- Use Relenteless Earthseige Diamond and one +10 all stats gem to activate it
- Gem +10 strength and crit in a yellow socket only if it will give you a socket bonus of +6 strength or above
- Gem +10 strength and stamina in a blue socket if it will give you a socket bonus of +10 strength or above
- If you happen to have a +10 strength blue socket bonus plus a prismatic gem, then you can change your meta. This is the only circumstance under which you score better.
Having hidden behind the slackyness of JC prismatic gems for some time, I’m now off to change my gems!