This is written for 8 man Hard Mode because thats all I’ve done! We ran the whole raid with two tanks (one an off-tank) and two healers. These tactics would likely be suitable for story mode and 16 man. Nightmare Mode may contain additional mechanics.
For all bosses:
- Don’t loot before the Master Looter. This can cause the loot to bug.
Annihilation Droid XRR-3
- He doesn’t move so turn him away and tank.
- Stay spread out and ranged should keep out of melee range to avoid knockbacks.
- Move out of red circles on the ground.
- When he casts Missile Barrage all run and hide behind the left pillar until it ends (apart from the main tank).
- At 8% he starts casting Missile Barrage endlessly so pop defensive and offensive cooldowns and burn.
- There is a reasonably tight enrage timer.
- Lava hurts!
- Tank Gharj at one end of each rock platform facing the edge.
- Have the ranged dps and healers huddle at the other end.
- Every so often Gharj destroys the platform you are standing on. Follow the rock path to the next one.
- After a while adds appear when you change platforms. Don’t dps them until you are on the new platform.
- Split your raid evenly (i.e. a tank, a healer and 2 dps in each group) and get in position by each pylon.
- You need to solve the puzzle to win. You work from bottom to top.
- Have one dps, then the other, click the left console as soon as it is available (they get a debuff hence the swapping).
- When the icon in the middle of the row matches the outer icons, click the Confirmation Console in the middle.
- Both teams must complete a row to proceed to the next one.
- Adds spawn as the fight goes on and become increasingly more difficult. Kill them ASAP.
- Each player has a mob to kill on their own.
- You cannot help another player or the encounter will reset. No dps, no heals, nothing.
- Healers take the Assassins.
- Tanks take the Juggernauts.
- DPS take the Marauders. Some have more health than others so assign dps appropriately if needed.
- Stand by your mob ready to start the fight. Some do knockbacks so place your back to something.
- Kill all the mobs within 2 minutes.
Soa the Infernal One
- There ares 5 phases es to this fight – 3 dps phases and 2 platform phases.
- DPS phase 1:
- Tank him in the middle.
- Avoid green stuff.
- Burn to 75% when the first platform phase will start.
- DPS phase 2:
- Tank him in the middle.
- People targeted with Lightning Balls should kite them away from the raid before running into them to take the damage.
- Get people out of mind trap ASAP.
- DPS phase 3:
- Lightning Balls and Mind Traps as phase 2.
- Don’t hit the boss at all while his shield is up.
- Tank kites the boss around under the spinning pillars. When one drops it stuns the boss for 15 seconds. All dps should hit him as hard as possible for that time ignoring all other mechanics.
- You only have a few of these 15 second slots in which to kill him before he enrages.
- Platform phases:
- Hug up on the outer rim of the main platform and assign a leader.
- Jump down from platform to platform along the routes listed below to avoid a platform disappearing underneath you. Most of the jumps are anti-clockwise, but some are off the front or back of a platform. Look before you leap! [I will add a route once I am confident in it]
- On each platform is a small pyramid. DPS it down.
- Stop on assigned platforms (2 and 6) to AoE heal the group.
The Midsummer Festival is one of the easiest of the holiday achievements, but one of the most time consuming. As a bonus though, you will make at least 500 gold at level 85 doing this achievement. Its largely unchanged from 2011 other than the fact that Cataclysm Fires and Desecration achievements have been added to the metas.
To get The Flame Keeper/The Flame Warden achievement you need to get the following:
- Ice the Frost Lord – kill Frost Lord Ahune
- Burning Hot Pole Dance – dance around a pole for 60 seconds wearing the completed Midsummer set
- Torch Juggler – Juggle 40 torches in 15 seconds in Dalaran
- King of the Fire Festival – Complete a quest chain that ends with you stealing fires from the opposite faction’s capital cities
- The Fires of Azeroth – Honor all the fires of your own faction in Eastern Kingdoms, Kalimdor and Outland
- Desecration of the Horde/Alliance – Desecrate all the fires of the opposite faction in Eastern Kingdomes, Kalimdor and Outland
There are no achievements that are not part of the meta, but you can also obtain two pets:
- Ice Chip drops from the bag you get for killing Ahune.
- Midsummer Flame can be brought for 350 Burning Blossoms. Since you need 415 for the meta, thats a lot of blossoms. You can get these by completing the daily quests each day and visiting all the Northrend and Cataclysm fires that aren’t a part of the meta.
You will also get bonus achievement points for the achievements that make up The Fires of Azeroth and Desecration of the Horde/Alliance. They are not listed on the meta but you can’t do the meta without them.
How you do it
Start with these things, which you will do each day:
- Queue for Frost Lord Ahune from the dungeon finder. As with all holiday events the queue does not take long and you will get a few bonus Justice Points for your time. Do this every day until you get the pet and any of the cloaks, or the caster staff if you want them (ilevel 353). [Completed: Ice the Frost Lord]
- While you wait go to the fire in one of your capital cities. I would suggest not Stormwind or Orgrimmar. Pick up all the quests and complete the torch catching and brazier hitting ones so you have access to the daily quests. Torch catching is much easier in some clear space (you have to follow the shadow on the floor). Do both dailies every day.
The rest of the achievement is a once only thing:
- Start with the quest chain. Go to the Zoram Strand and do the quests and you will be sent back to a capital city. You can then steal flames from the opposite faction’s capital cities. Don’t make a special trip – just pick them up as you go around.
- Of the Horde cities, I managed to do Undercity (in the courtyard in the Ruins of Lordaeron) and Orgrimmar (in the Valley of Wisdom up high) without even aggroing a guard. I aggro’d a guard in Thunder Bluff after grabbing the flame, but jumped off the edge (on my Levitating priest). In Silvermoon you can’t fly so just run. I ran through to the Court of the Sun and then managed to get out of combat to go and steal the flame.
- Of the Alliance cities, Darnassus is the easiest (in the courtyard just inside the entrance from Teldrassil) and you will just be able to swoop in and out. Exodar is in the Crystal Hall. You will likely have to run to the fire, die, corpse run and then steal it and stone. You can stand by the fire without pulling aggro but you have no chance of getting there without doing so. Stormwind is quite hard and you will want to do at a quiet time. The fire is just outside the entrance to the Stockades in the canals and is right next to several profession trainers and the fishing and cooking daily quest givers. The Alliance are busy there, but not so busy they won’t stop to kill you. The Ironforge flame is at the back in the Hall of Explorers. You should be able to fly to this without aggro if you stay up high and use the flight path slits in the walls. [Completed: King of the Fire Festival]
- Then visit all the flames and honoring or desecrating them (you do this by completing a quest at the fire). It doesn’t matter when you do Outland or Northrend, but remember that both have a portal to your capital city or to Tanaris so when you are planning a path keep this in mind. Also remember you can jump around using the portals to the Cataclysm areas and flying from there. I’m not going to write an order up because you might tie it in with other dailies, grinding – I tied it in with doing some Archaeology on one character and farming random herbs on another. Northrend and Cataclysm do not count towards the meta and is only required if you want the extra Blossoms for the pet. You can fly in Azeroth, but you can also make use of flight paths still while you go and do something else. [Completed: The Fires of Azeroth & Desecration of the Horde/Alliance]
- You’ll need to farm 400 Burning Blossoms and buy the Midsummer clothes set from the vendor (shoulders, chest, feet). Then put them on and dance at a pole until you get the achievement. [Completed: Burning Hot Pole Dance]
- Torch Juggler needs to be completed in Dalaran so you need to go there either during your tour around the flames or at the end. Buy some torches , preferably with some to spare (I managed with 20 which cost 15 Burning Blossoms since I had 5 from the quest) and put them on a hot-key. Unlike the other torches you can target these. Target them at your feet and start spamming the key and then your mouse to place the targeting circle. If you have lag try and face a wall to reduce it some (don’t know if that trick is still needed but it was helpful back when Dalaran was highly populated). You will probably not manage it at first – keep spamming. You will start your second 15 second counter with torches in the air this way and then get the achievement. You can send these torches between characters if you are doing more than one round of this achievement.
Flames it might be hard to find
Most of the flames are fairly obvious when you look at a map. Remember this achievement has been around for a while so flames tend to be at the older settlements and main settlements. Just look at your map and you can see where the Alliance and Horde flight points are for a rough guide. Where theres a goblin town, both flames tend to be there. The following are those that aren’t as obvious:
- Cape of Strangelthorn – both flames are on the pirate beach just east of Booty Bay
- Westfall – this flame is at Moonbrook
- Burning Steppes – the Horde flame is at Flame Crest
- Eversong Woods – the flame is outside of Falconwing Square
- Northern Stranglethorn – the Alliance flame is at Fort Livingstone
- Swamp of Sorrows – Bogpaddle! Just … don’t …
- Ashenvale – the Alliance flame is now at Forest Song and the Horde flame at Silverwind Refuge
- Darkshore – the Alliance flame is now at Lor’danel
- Southern Barrens – the Alliance flame is at Fort Triumph and the Horde flame at Desolation Hold
- Stonetalon Mountains – Sun Rock Retreat (I think it always has been but there are a lot of Horde flight points here)
- Twilight Highlands – these are at the daily quest hubs of Bloodgulch and Thundermar, not the entry towns.
- Vashj’ir – the flame is at Silver Tide Hollow.
Blizzard has marked several achievements in the beta as account wide by adding a blue tint to the banner at the top of the achievement listing. Let me clarify this somewhat: all achievements count towards an account achievement total. Some have components that are also account wide. So Loremaster can be achieved by having different Quest achievements on different toons, but Tabard achievements require one toon to wear all the tabards still.
Below are listings of a few achievements where it might not be clear whether components are account wide or not.
- Mount achievements including individual mount achievements for those mounts being made account wide (i.e. Wooly Mammoth, One Hump or Two?)
- The Hemet Nessingwary meta
- The Loremaster and other quest metas
- World Explorer and other exploration metas
- Metas for each Battleground and Battlemaster
- For the Alliance!/Horde!
- Jack of All Trades
- Profession metas
- World Event metas
Not account wide
Remember, this means all toons will get points from it, but the complete achievement has to be done on one character. I’ve not listed everything, just the ones where I thought there might be a question.
- Achievements for using gear of a certain rarity/ilevel
- Tabard achievements
- Got My Mind On My Money
- The Squirrels series and Pest Control
- Well Read
- Higher Learning
- Achievements to eat and drink certain foods and drinks/certain numbers of foods and drinks
- Achievements for numbers of quests, daily quests and dungeon quests including for each zone
- The Bread Winner
- Exploration achievements
- Achievements to get a total number of Honorable Kills
- Achievements for numbers of points
- That Takes Class/Know Thy Enemy
- Achievements to cook/fish/dig up named things
- Reputation achievements including reputation metas
There were a couple of suprises in there. The Reputation metas stand out as being a bit harsh, but since a lot of them carry titles I guess I can live with it. I’ll still have the points – I’ll just have to pick a rep farm toon (probably Morrighan) and farm reps on that toon. The same for Tabards.
What I am less happy to see is the quest number and honor kill achievements are not tagged as account wide. This may be just that it hasn’t been done yet. Because Ghostcrawler said in his blog post:
The other category are achievements that are just brutal to complete on one character (and you’d never want to do for multiples), such as 2500 daily quests or 250K honorable kills. In these cases, the cumulative work of all your characters on those criteria will count.
I will be most put out if this doesn’t happen. Ghostcrawler promised me an account wide pony and I want it!