This is a re-write of the previous year’s guide. There are no changes to the holiday from last year, but I’ve updated the format of the post. There is only one new thing to consider: account wide pets. I highly recommend checking your toons to see which characters have which pets and targeting any pets you don’t already have. You can also get different pets on different toons to try and collect all of them.
To get For the Children you need to get the following achievements:
- Home Alone – Hearthstone with your Orphan out
- Daily Chores – Do 5 daily quests with your Orphan out
- School of Hard Knocks – complete four specicific BG goals with your Orphan out
- Bad Example – Eat 7 specific types of nice stuff with your Orphan out
- Aw, Isn’t it Cute? – Obtain a Children’s Week pet
- Hail to the King, Baby – Kill King Ymiron in Utgarde Pinnacle with your Orphan out
You need to be at least level 78 to complete this meta achievement.
There are a few bonus achievements and items:
- Veteran Nanny – Acquire Egbert’s Egg, Sleepy Willy and Elekk Training Collar on one character. This will take 3 years. I suspect this will vanish in MoP, but there is no way you can speed this up so unless you already have two of the pets on one toon, you’ll just have to lose this one.
- There are quite a few pets available. You can get a maximum of three within one Children’s Week. Each year you can work on another pet, apart from the Northrend pets – you can only ever get one of these.
- One from the Stormwind/Orgrimmar orphan quests. (Whiskers the Rat, Mr Wiggles, Speedy, Scooter the Snail)
- One from the Shattrath orphan quests. (Peanut, Egbert, Willy, Legs)
- One from the Northrend orphan quests. (Curious Oracle Hatchling/Curious Wolvar Hatchling)
Don’t forget to have your Orphan out when you do ALL of these achievements.
Now one of these achievements is a nightmare. I would recommend doing these achievements as follows.
- Follow the Children’s Week questline to obtain a pet. Use your Hearthstone while travelling about. Buy some of Tigule and Foror’s Strawberry Flavoured Ice Cream while you are in Stormwind or Orgrimmar. It can be found on the Candy Vendor near the Cooking daily in Stormwind and from the Snack-O-Matic in Horde Zepplins. [Completed: Aw, Isn't it Cute? and Home Alone, plus 1/7 Bad Example] You also now have a pet out of this holiday, if nothing else.
- Time to bite the bullet and go for the hard one. I could describe it all but I think that Cynwise has already done so far better than I could so check out his guide. Console yourself with the thought that even if you NEVER PvP you can turn the Honor points you will earn into Justice Points, or use them towards the Honor mounts if you’re a mount collector. It won’t be enough consolation for the hell that is this achievement, but there you go. If you are aiming for the meta this is the one you need to focus on because its by far the hardest to get. [Completed: School of Hard Knocks]
- Once back in town do any five daily quests during the week. The Fishing/Cooking ones are ridiculously easy and will count. [Completed: Daily Chores]
- Now its off to Northrend. Travel to Howling Fjord with a friend or two to complete Utgarde Pinnacle. You may well be able to solo this. If not, you should only need one friend. [Completed: Hail to the King, Baby]
- Carry on to Dalaran where you can buy a Red Velvet Cupcake, Dalaran Brownie, Dalaran Donut and Lovely Cake from Aimee outside of one of the banks. Eat them all. [5/7 Bad Example]
- You now need to either do some cooking or visit the AH for Tasty Cupcake and Delicious Chocolate Cake. There is an achievement to make the Delicious Chocolate Cake so bake it if you can. The recipe comes from the rewards for the Outland or Dalaran Cooking dailies. The Tasty Cupcake recipe is a random Northrend drop. Both can be found on the AH. [Completed: Bad Example]