So now you’re sitting on 57 mounts and maybe a few more. Heres where it starts to get a little tricker. I’m going to suggest some further mounts, and then a pool of mounts from which you can draw your final selection.
Things to know about Mountain O’ Mounts
- Class mounts don’t count
- Profession mounts do count
- You don’t need to be Exalted with your own faction
- This is an Alliance list – but all mounts have a Horde equivalent
What you are going to need
- Cash! At least 16829 gold according to the list I chose, though you could replace some of these mounts with cheaper options if you were willing to farm for longer/can do more achievements/have rare mounts. This assumes no discounts so you will spend less with faction discounts and the guild saving.
- Time – you will need to farm reputations at some point, and there are quite a few mounts to be had from dailies too. You also can’t do all the dailies every day.
- A level 85 toon (I include Tol Barad mounts here, hence the requirement – you could do this achievement at a lower level, but you would need more of the alternative mounts).
- 2175 Justice Points
- 14000 Honor Points
- At least Artisan Riding. You can gain Master Riding by doing the holiday meta if you wish. None of these mounts require Master Riding to use.
The following mount groupings aren’t an order in which to do them – you will want to run several of these in parallel.
58. Silver Riding Talbuk – 70 gold + Exalted with the Kurenai
59. Cobalt Riding Talbuk – 70 gold + Exalted with the Kurenai
60. Tan Riding Talbuk – 70 gold + Exalted with the Kurenai
61. White Riding Talbuk – 70 gold + Exalted with the Kurenai
62. Silver War Talbuk – 100 gold + Exalted with the Kurenai
63. Cobalt War Talbuk – 100 gold + Exalted with the Kurenai
64. Tan War Talbuk – 100 gold + Exalted with the Kurenai
65. White War Talbuk – 100 gold + Exalted with the Kurenai
The gold cost here is relatively small, but farming Kurenai rep will take a while. The best way to do this is to complete all the quests in Nagrand and then kill ogres/cultists in Nagrand. Lots of them. Keep killing them until you hit Exalted. You can hand in the warbeads that drop from ogres for Kurenai rep too, or you can keep them for Consortium rep if you are achievement hunting in general.
Cost so far: 1609 gold + 2175 Justice Points + 12000 Honor Points
66. Azure Netherwing Drake – 200 gold + Exalted with the Netherwing
67. Cobalt Netherwing Drake – 200 gold + Exalted with the Netherwing
68. Onyx Netherwing Drake – 200 gold + Exalted with the Netherwing
69. Purple Netherwing Drake – 200 gold + Exalted with the Netherwing
70. Veridian Netherwing Drake – 200 gold + Exalted with the Netherwing
71. Violet Netherwing Drake – 200 gold + Exalted with the Netherwing
Netherwing rep is somewhat time consuming to get. First you need to complete all the quests in Shadowmoon Valley that relate to the Netherwing. Then there are dailies. The number of dailies you can do increases as your reputation increases. Finally, you can farm the rare spawn eggs and hand in as many of these as you can find a day. They are located all over the Netherwing daily area and in the fortress to the north. Once you are Exalted you will be given a quest to go to Shattrath where you can select one of the drakes. You then go back to Shadowmoon Valley where you can buy the rest.
Cost so far: 2809 gold + 2175 Justice Points + 12000 Honor Points
72. Blue Riding Nether Ray – 200 gold + Exalted with the Sha’tari Skyguard
73. Green Riding Nether Ray – 200 gold + Exalted with the Sha’tari Skyguard
74. Purple Riding Nether Ray – 200 gold + Exalted with the Sha’tari Skyguard
75. Red Riding Nether Ray – 200 gold + Exalted with the Sha’tari Skyguard
76. Silver Riding Nether Ray – 200 gold + Exalted with the Sha’tari Skyguard
Skyguard rep comes from dailies and other actions in the Skettis area, plus a daily in the Ogri’la area. You can also kill Skettis Arakkoa. I’d recommend just focusing on the Skettis area in Terokkar Forest. Do the dailies there and collect Shadow Dust, which you can hand in to get an Elixir of Shadows. This allows you to see undead arakkoa too. Kill these and get 10 scrolls of ressurection, which you can use to summon named arakkoa. Four of these drop unique items which you can hand in to get an item to summon Terokk, who you kill. Each of these gives reputation and it gives a little structure to what is basically kill all the things rep grind.
Cost so far: 3609 gold + 2175 Justice Points + 12000 Honor Points
77. Winterspring Frostsaber – complete 20 dailies
Visit Frostsaber Rock in Winterspring to start these quests. You will get a baby frostsaber to care for and have to feed and play with him via 20 daily quests. When you have 20 whiskers, hand them in and he’ll be all grown up.
Cost so far: 3609 gold + 2175 Justice Points + 12000 Honor Points
Choices, or the REALLY HARD part
Now we start to get into optional mounts. You need to pick 23 mounts from those below. It comes down to cash versus time spent and your own preference about which to go with.
Swift Grey Steed – 500 gold + 5 Champion’s Seals
Swift Moonsaber – 500 gold + 5 Champion’s Seals
Swift Violet Ram – 500 gold + 5 Champion’s Seals
Turbostrider – 500 gold + 5 Champion’s Seals
Great Read Elekk – 500 gold + 5 Champion’s Seals
Argent Warhorse – 100 Champion’s Seals
Darnassian Nightsaber – 100 Champion’s Seals
Exodar Elekk – 100 Champion’s Seals
Gnomeregon Mechanostrider – 100 Champion’s Seals
Ironforge Ram – 100 Champion’s Seals
Quel’dorai Steed – 100 Champion’s Seals
Stormwind Steed – 100 Champion’s Seals
Silver Covenant Hippogryph – 150 Champion’s Seals
Argent Hippogryph – 150 Champion’s Seals
These come from the Argent Tournament dailies area. It will take a while to get to the point where you can collect and purchase these, but you will get a lot of achievements along the way and you can also access more mounts and some pets. If you are starting from scratch there are also a lot of achievements to be had by doing these dailies. These are a classic example of time versus cash. It will only take a couple of days to farm the seals for those needing only 5 and some cash, or you can save money by farming a lot more. I intend to use these to fill out the last mounts I need.
Drake of the West Wind – 200 Tol Barad Commendations
Spectral Steed – 165 Tol Barad Commendations
You get these by doing Tol Barad dailies. You need to be Exalted with Baradin’s Wardens too, but by the time you have that many commendations you will be close if not already there. You can do the base camp dailies once a day, plus the dailies in Tol Barad itself while your faction holds it. You also get three for the weekly Tol Barad win quest. There are three sets of rotating dailies which will be different every time you win Tol Barad so in theory you can do all three sets in a day. You also get commendations for the weekly win Tol Barad quest. I intend to farm one of these.
Darkmoon Dancing Bear – 180 Darkmoon Tokens
Swift Forest Strider – 180 Darkmoon Tokens
Collect tokens by doing the quests at the Darkmoon Faire. You can get up to 145 tokens per Darkmoon Faire so you could do it in three Faire’s but most likely it will take 4. I intend to farm one of these.
Cenarion War Hippogryph – 2000 gold + Exalted with Cenarion Expedition
CE rep isn’t too bad to get. Complete quests in Zangamarsh and Borean Tundra, and run lots of Steamvaults. You can get Coilfang Armament drops to speed it up.
Flameward Hippogryph – The Molton Front Offensive completed
This will take doing dailies for a few weeks, but you will make quite a bit of cash doing these as they are current and the mount is particularly nice looking. You can also get access to some pets and lots of achievements.
Stormpike Battle Charger – 2000 Honor Points + Exalted with Stormpike
Best option for your Honor mounts is to wait for Alterac Valley weekend and farm the lot. You get far more HP for AV than any other weekend. Also do the quests from the AV entrance area to get further Stormpike reputation. Its not too bad and you can farm gear and mounts while you do it. I might skip this. I depends if an AV weekend comes up before I get 100 mounts and what else I am doing that weekend.
Ice Mammoth – 1000 gold + Exalted with Sons of Hodir
Sons of Hodir rep comes from quests and dailies in Storm Peaks. You can also hand in Relics of Ulduar from killing mobs in the Storm Peaks. Finally, and best of all, you can get Sons of Hodir Commendations which give 500 rep for just 16 Justice Points! There are two mounts, but the other one costs 10000 gold! You get an achievement for each mount.
Armored Brown Bear – 750 gold
Golden King – 1500 gold + Guild level 25
Armored Snowy Gryphon – 2000 gold
Red Drake – 2000 gold
These are splash the cash mounts. You could replace these with other mounts and save some gold. There are other more expensive mounts available if you have LOTS of cash. I have the bear and will likely buy the guild mount at least.
Fossilized Raptor – Archaology
Ultramarine Qiraji Battle Tank – Archaeology
The Raptor isn’t that rare. The Battle Tank is very rare. It all depends on how much Archaeology you are willing to do!
Tyrael’s Charger – Annual Pass
Celestial Steed – Blizzard Store
Winged Guardian – Blizzard Store
If you want to part with some cash, these mounts can be yours. The Annual Pass mount actually won’t cost you any extra if you intend to play for the next year anyway.
Swift Lovebird – Love is in the Air (holiday tokens)
Swift Springstrider – Noblegarden (holiday tokens)
Big Love Rocket – Love is in the Air (drop – very rare)
Swift Brewfest Ram – Brewfest (drop – rare)
Great Brewfest Kodo – Brewfest (drop – rare)
Headless Horseman’s Mount – Hallow’s End (drop – very rare)
Violet Proto-Drake – What a Long Strange Trip its Been
These can be used to supplement other mounts if the holiday itself is on. The token based mounts are not hard to get and are very efficient forms of mount collection. The Violet Proto-Drake takes a whole year, but does give you Master riding for free. And a LOT of achievement points.
Red Proto Drake – Glory of the Hero
Ironbound Proto-Drake – Glory of the Ulduar Hero 10
Bloodbathed Frostbrood Vanquisher – Glory of the ICC Hero 10
Icebound Frostbrood Vanquisher – Glory of the ICC Hero 25
Rusted Proto-Drake – Glory of the Uldaur Hero 25
Amani Battle Bear – ZA Timed Run
Black War Bear – For the Alliance!
Corrupted Firehawk – Glory of the Firelands Raider
Drake of the East Wind – Glory of the Cataclysm Raider
Twilight Harbinger – Glory of the Dragon Soul Raider
Volcanic Stone Drake – Glory of the Cataclysm Hero
Dark Phoenix – 3000 gold + Guild Glory of the Cataclysm Raider
Vicious War Steed – Veteran of the Alliance
These mounts come from achievements. Its possible you may have some of these already.
I’m not going to list them all, but there are also the rare mounts. I don’t believe any of these are worth actively farming. With one exception. If you are exalted with The Oracles you may as well farm the Green Proto-Drake which comes from the egg. I say this because even if you never get it, you should get the pets and you can sell duplicate pets to pay for other mounts. Its never going to be a waste of time.
From this list I intend to use:
78. Red Proto-Drake
79. Ironbound Proto-Drake
80. Bloodbathed Frostbrood Vanquisher
81. Green Proto-Drake
82. Violet Proto-Drake
83. Swift Lovebird
84. Swift Springstrider (I will farm this next week)
85. Tyrael’s Charger (I was going to play WoW for a year and pay for D3 so this is a bonus)
86. Fossilised Raptor
87. Armored Brown Bear
88. Flameward Hippogryph
89. Cenarion War Hippogryph
90. Swift Violet Ram
91. Ironforge Ram
92. Darkmoon Dancing Bear
93. Ice Mammoth
94. Drake of the West Wind
95. Swift Moonsaber
96. Swift Grey Steed
98. Great Red Elekk
99. Golden King
I haven’t decided what the last mount will be. It depends on how long other things take and what opportunities are available. I might treat myself to a Mekgineer’s Chopper …